BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

10.06.2006

Week 1of DTS - Interesting

I have officially been here at YWAM (Youth with a Mission) in Wisconsin for 1 week. This week has been very interesting. As I sit down and try to put together some of my thoughts and memories that I want to share with you... the word "Interesting" best suites how I want to describe my experience so far.

There are 8 people in this Discipleship Training School (DTS). We are small, but because we are small in number we are also like a BIG family.

So about my experience so far... well, like I said it has been very interesting just trying to get to know new people and learn about what it is like for them back in their country. It has also been interesting dealing with the shower in the mornings. There is only a small shelf in the shower to place your bar of soap, and the shower head sprays out far and hard and wide (plus they have hard water). I cannot wait to take a shower at home. Probably the thing that I miss the most would be my bed at home, because the bunk bed that I am sleeping in is hard and stiff, so may back has been stiff and I don't feel like I am getting a good nights sleep. I also am living in a room with all of the ladies plus Mandy, one of the staff members (but that is not that big of a problem because everyone is respectable to everyone else). But these are minor things that I am complaining about, because there are so many people that do not have the things that I have. I am so spoiled!

When I first arrived here a week ago today, I brought a lot of stuff. My parents mentioned that they might have to take 2 vehicles just to fit all of my things. I think I went mad (or crazy) when I was packing. But the next time I go home, I will bring some things back to stay just because I really do not need everything that I brought. I think all of the staff was secretly laughing at me when they saw all of the things I brought. And later on in the day when I realized how much stuff I brought, I realized that I am high maintained. I was kinda upset with myself, because I do want to be that way and I am only high maintained because I am spoiled. Therefore, I have a feeling that when I get back home I will have a whole new perspective on life and will no longer want the things that I want right now.

The first day (Sunday) we got to know a little about ourselves and about the staff. Then on Monday we answered some "Quaker Questions" (they are simple questions about yourself that are answered descriptively). This mostly consisted of the whole day. Then on Tuesday, we went to the GMC (Global Mission Center) in Madison. We will be going there ever week on Tuesdays. Then on Wednesday we began the teachings where we began to learn about Hearing the Voice of God. I took lots of notes, it was very interesting and good. On Wednesday night a group of us went to a Conference in Madison to celebrate 200 years in Missions. It was interesting, and kinda like a history lesson. This was optional; I sort of wanted to stay back to catch up on some sleep and other things, but I felt like I was supposed to go, so I did. Then on Thursday we had some more teaching on Hearing the Voice of God and then we put it into practice. When we shared about what we had heard God speaking to us all of the responses fit together like a puzzle. It was so amazing to hear God working in us separately and also as a group. Then on Friday we learned about Intercession (according to dictionary.com it means: a prayer to God on behalf of another.). Then we practiced it for a little bit. On Saturday (yesterday) we went to Madison (to the capital) for a scavenger hunt. We had to do things such as: ask someone if they are republican and get a picture with them (I got a video and about 5 people said NO! until this girl enthusiastically said YES!), we had to find the most expensive item in a boutique (our group found a 500 year old vase that was $1800), etc. It was a lot of fun. Then today I went to Michael and Emma's (my school leaders) church - then when I came back I took a nap. There are many other details that I could share with you, however you'd probably fall asleep reading this if I did. :o)

I look forward to many more weeks to come. I also look forward to learning more about God and also to get to know everyone better. After I am done with this DTS, the people I currently live with will probably be like my "new" family.

0 comments: